Culture change in a multi-national fmcg company. Employee satisfaction increased from 18% to 81% and attrition fell five-fold in 2 years. Sales per capita increased by 145% and profit by 113% in 3 years.
• An autocratic management style and the organisation operating in functional silos resulting in no innovation, empowerment or risk-aking
• Employee attrition running at 47% reflecting low employee morale
• New Regional President installed with growth objectives
• Manufacturing plant moved from threat of closure to most cost effective plant globally within 3 years
• Sales per capita increased by 145% and profit by 213% in 3 years
• Employee belief that the culture values are lived rose from 18% to 81% in 2 years
• Attrition reduced from 47% to 9% in 2 years
• Cultural/behavioural change strategy through all levels of the organisation
1 In functions: Development of vision & identification of barriers, introduction of behavioural models, personal feedback and action planning for personal accountability.
2 Cross functional/matrix teamworking using neutral tasks including feedback on individual/team behaviours in tasks, reinforcement of previous behaviour models and introduction of additional ones.
3 Skills development including high performance coaching, leadership, negotiation, persuasive presentations, assertiveness, facilitation, listening and effective meeting management.
• Provision of ongoing feedback to board members and mentoring.
• HR practices reviewed to ensure consistency of message/reinforcement of culture change.