Internal appointments increased from 21% to 79%, cross-functional/geographical moves quadrupled in 2 years and attrition improved three-fold.
• The organisation evolved from 12 individually managed country business units to a regional Matrix team structure.
• 8 year old appraisal system required the manager to write and then share an annual review of the employee’s performance. The focus was retrospective rather than looking to the future.
• The organisation undertook no career or succession planning.
• Attrition rate was 41% and it was estimated that recruitment, induction and associated costs would increase the advertising budget by 16%.
• Internal appointments increased from 21% to 79% in 2 years.
• Cross-functional/international moves increased from 9% to 37% in 2 years.
• Attrition averaged 10% across the 2 years following.
• The region became the number one sourcing point for its Corporate Head Office.
• Led strategic review of approach to performance management and career development involving all stakeholders. Developed integrated process designed that:
1 offered partnership approach with manager and employee agreeing frequency of review and both gathering input from internal & external customers for a discussion that is then documented
2 focus on what has been achieved as well as how to reflect importance of culture
3 provides a detailed plan and timings to support the employee’s development
4 enables the employee to provide feedback to their line manager
5 encompassed career planning discussions feeding into succession plan
6 awarded a future potential rating and feedback on how they fit in the succession plan
• Implementation strategy included workshops introducing concept, process & supporting skills development.